<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Layout:
Home > My mom has breast cancer
 

My mom has breast cancer

April 14th, 2011 at 05:53 pm

My mom had a lump removed from her breast last week and it came back as being malignant. She meets with the doctor later this week to discuss chemo or radiation. My doctor went ahead and scheduled me for a mammogram. My mom's lump wasn't felt but found on her mammogram. Everyone keeps telling me they are sorry. But I am not sure why. It isn't the death sentence it used to be and the doctor felt they removed all of the lump. Maybe it just hasn't hit me yet how serious it is.

I went to the doctor this morning to discuss the results of my blood test last week. My thryoid is off the charts. This explains my weight gain, failure to be able to lose any weight, fatigue, etc. I am excited to get on the medication and see if I can't lose some of this weight and have more energy to do things.

I have had a pretty spendy day already today. I had the copay for my general practioner, my copay for my therapist and my copay for my new prescription. $50. Ouch. I really need ex to give me some money tomorrow. Otherwise I will have to borrow some from my mom and dad until I get paid next Friday. That would really suck.o "Hi mom. I know that you are paying my mortgage and my power bill, but can you also loan me $200?" Suck big time.

I have quit smoking again. I haven't had a cigarette in a week. I think my mom's diagnoses is what I needed to stay quit. I haven't missed it. It was always just sort of a time killer.

Sorry to ramble on. I will stop now. Thanks for reading.

8 Responses to “My mom has breast cancer”

  1. laura Says:


    (hugs)

  2. MonkeyMama Says:

    Well, that is a bummer but sounds like the prognosis is good.

    I think people equate the word cancer (& even tumor) with worst case. When I faced potential thyroid cancer this year and with my spouse's tumor, we were told immediately that both were less than 1% chance of being cancer. & even thyroid cancer would be 99% treatable. I felt this was really hard to communicate to people. People tend to go to the worst case. & then we get how we are so "calm and level headed." Don't let them scare you into worrying more than you really need to.

    Breast cancer - a lot of people have lost loved ones to breast cancer, so that one even moreso I am sure.

  3. scottish girl Says:

    There's a woman that I work with, her older sister was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago. I know she has to go for regular check-ups but, as far as I know, she is fine now.

  4. creditcardfree Says:

    Wishing you and your mom the best of health for many years to come!!

  5. Petunia 100 Says:

    Breast cancer is not an automatic death sentence, plenty of women recover and go on with their lives. I hope your Mom makes a full recovery!

  6. Looking Forward Says:

    Best wishes to you and your mama! ((HUGS))

  7. PNW Mom Says:

    Sending prayers your way for both you and your mom! Great job on stopping the smoking! Hugs

  8. Jerry Says:

    Good job on stopping smoking, and I am hoping the best for your mom. I know that those insurance copays can really add up, and I hope that they are willing to work with you on the gym fees. That would lead to a little less stress, I'm sure. Good luck to you...
    Jerry

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
*
Will not be published.
   

* Please spell out the number 9.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]